[Evolution] Brave or stupid

So I decided to install (using a different --prefix) and run Evoluton
1.3.  Why?  Who knows.  Anyway, it won't start up.  I get this message:

libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Unable to create ~/.gnome directory: Bad address
Could not create per-user gnome configuration directory `(null)': Bad
address

I have a .gnome and a .gnome2 directory, so I don't understand it.  Any
pointers?  Do I have to completely remove ~/evolution and start over to
use this version?

TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger