[Evolution] Re: Help with syncing Treo 180 and Evolution.

Thank you for helping with this.

My System: Mandrake 9 (2.4.19-16mdk kernel) on a 500 Mhz PIII with
256MB RAM. I am using KDE 3.0.3, Evolution 1.2.1

My PDA: Handspring Treo 180 (GSM phone/PalmOS PDA hybrid). The Treo
is running Palm OS 3.5. I use the USB connection to connect with my PC.
According to WebMin, my USB is set to start at boot and is currently
running. (MandrakeSoft, : usb,v 1.44). I know USB is running because ...

a. 'lsusb' gives "Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000"
b. Mandrake Control Center-->Hardware--> USB Controller shows
(82371AB PIIX4 USB)
--

This is what I have done so far.

1. At a shell, I typed 'ls /dev/usb' and got nothing.

2. I put the Treo in the cradle and pressed the hot sync button. Then
when I typed 'ls /dev/usb' again and got 'tts' in the directory.

3. I then created the symbolic link to /dev/pilot by typing the
following as root 'ln -s /dev/usb/tts/0 /dev/pilot'.

4. Started Evolution and went to Tools-->Pilot Settings. Got the wizard
and hit next until the screen that gave me two options.
a. Yes, I've used sync software with this pilot before.
b. No, I've never used sync software with this pilot before.

If I click the No option, it gives me a slot to put a User Name and ID.
I am assuming I should use the 'Yes' option, since I have syncronized my
Treo with the Palm Desktop software it came with on my Windows machine,
and the device already has a username.

5. After I answered this and pressed NEXT on this final screen, I
pressed the hotsync button on the cradle. All of the icons on my desktop
flickered as if something was happening, but nothing ever transfered.  I
got the error message, "Could not examine the port for
Cradle(/devt/pilot). The port should point to a USB serial port. No such
file or directory (2)"

When I go back now and type 'ls /dev/pilot' I get "No such file or
directory."

My Treo keeps displaying the error message "The connection between your
handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check
your setup and try again."

6. So now I decide to start over. I went to Tools-->Pilot Settings on
Evolution and got the wizard. When Pilot Identification asked the yes or
No question I said yes, and right before I clicked next I typed
"ls dev/pilot" as root. I got the "no such file or directory" so I
created the symbolic link again by typing "ln -s /dev/usb/tts/0
/dev/pilot" again as root. Then I checked by typing "ls dev/pilot" and
the 'tts' was there. Then I clicked next on the pilot wizard and pressed
the hotsync button right after. Now I get a new error that says  "Failed
sending request to gpilotd".

Now I am stuck. What am I doing wrong or what haven't I done that I need
to do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TP