Re: [Evolution] Threaded mail display during delete

cheers();

When I receive a batch of email and begin reading (and deleting)
messages I've noticed that as I delete mails from a thread the
subsequent messages within the thread jump around in the list to try to
stay within correct date sort.

In threaded view, mails are threaded by the In-Reply-To header. Mails in
threat are not sorted by date but by date in the current threat. If you
remove the parent message, where should it go?

It is then sorted by date -- as you wanted.

Sorry, AFAIK there is no way to change that. I can't even imagine, how
that should be done.

Actually it was changed, what version are you using?

I am running Evo 1.2.1, so does Dave, who asked the initial question.
That is obviously way too easy for ximian developers, isn't is? ;-)

Sorry, I dosn't get you Not Zed. What has changed? And since what
version?

If you ARE NOT sorting explitly, and only using the message arrival date
sort order, plus threading, then if you delete a parent message, it
should drop the children back in the same spot.  Until you switch
folders (i think, definetly when you expunge) when it will rebuild the
list.  At least, it's supposed to work that way.

Maybe that is an solution for Dave.

I use explicit sorting by date, newest on top. (sorry, forgot that)

If you are sorting explicitly (i.e. there's a v or ^ on the column),
then it always does a sort - we can't really fix easily that because the
sorting is handled by the display widget.

That was my point. You can't change that -- and shouldn't, as this
really would confuse users.

I don't have a problem with that, as I don't have 'Hide deleted
messaged' checked. The threat remains intact until I expunge or empty
trash. Maybe that helps...

Thats the other solution too.  Actually since using evolution i
basically never delete mails anyway (partly to load-test it, partly
'cause i get too much to care to), so i dont have this problem :)

Uh, your mailbox must look really nasty, does it? ;-)

Undeleted, read messages in my mailboxes are waiting to be worked on...

...guenther