Re: [Evolution] Sound for Mail Notification in Evolution 1.2.1 not working

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 14:44, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 02:21, Brendan Murphy wrote:
Using Gnome.  I've checked for config discrepancies in the .gnome,
.gnome2, and .gtkrc directories (not to mention looking in the evolution
directory) but haven't found anything that strikes me as being a problem
or out of the ordinary.  I've also looked through .xsession-errors ...
but nothing there either.  I guess that is why I'm so frustrated with
this - I can't seem to find any config files or places where debug
information can be found.

...I can't find where to start  ... or where to look for that matter...
to try to debug this problem.  Anyone know?

Dang...mine works like a charm - and I also use my "Mail Notification"
applet in Gnome2, as well as when in KDE, I use KORN to do the mail
notification - so that it doubly annoys the wife...

SOLVED ON THIS END -

After looking endlessly for the problem in config files and in problems
with Evolution accessing esd, etc, etc, etc... we found the problem to
be very simply solved.

Again, here was the original problem:
Evolution 1.2.1 in Gnome on Mandrake 9.0, with an IMAP mail connection,
esd running....the new mail notification and/or beep wouldn't sound on
any incoming new mail.

Here's the solution:
In Evolution under Tools -> Settings -> Mail Accounts ... select the
mail account in question ... Click on 'Edit' for that account ... Under
'Receiving Options', "Apply Filters to new messages in INBOX on this
server" MUST BE CHECKED ... otherwise sound notifications don't work
regardless of whether or not any filters are in place.

This is not checked on default and -really in my mind- should it need to
be in order for mail notification to work?  I don't have any filters set
and yet this was the key to sound notification working or not working.

Hope this helps out for everyone else.  Perhaps a bug fix in the next
version too?

Cheers
--
Brendan Murphy <Brendan Murphy cudenver edu>
University of Colorado at Denver