Re: [Evolution] Inline GPG/PGP messages should be supported!

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 15:11, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 20:42, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 14:26, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 19:49, Steven P. Auerbach wrote:
I recently stated that GPG/PGP messages from myself were correctly
decrypted in Evolution 1.2.1, but messages from others are not. A
reply from vbi clarified the problem, pointing out that that stated
that earlier versions had support for inline PGP, but that this has
been dropped, because the related problem of reliably verifying inline
signatures is not solvable. Most GPG-encrypted messages sent to me are
inline, so dropping support for them makes Evolution basically
unusable for reading GPG-encrypted messages. KMail handles such
messages just fine, so I don't believe there is any fundamental issue .

Hi again!

There are no fundamental issues with inline encrypted messages - this
one is only the implementation problem of the MUA being required to scan
the message body.

actually, you are slightly wrong here. what's the content-type of the
data that is in the encrypted blob?

Point taken. If the encrypted blob is not in an attachment, I'd say it's
safe to assume that it's text in the encoding specified in the
Content-Type header of the mail. If it's not, the user will have to deal
with the consequences (we agree that inline pgp support can only be a
works-mostly, after all).

[snip]

I strongly suggest that support for inline GPG be restored, in some
form.

All this said, I agree with you: inline pgp should be supported. Thanks
to evolutions bad performance in interoperability with other mail
agents, I have actually much more PGP/MIME signed messages failing than
I have inline signed messages fail. For all the theoretical benefits of
MIME and the pitfalls of inline pgp usage, I find this really sad.

apparently you aren't using a new enough evolution.

Excuse me?

Latest Debian 1.2.1 package plus the CRLF patch you recently sent me,
custom built (painfully). I'll be very happy if there was a next point
release that fixes the gpg issues.

1.2.2 will contain my patch. anyways, if you've got my patch applied
already, it should all be working just fine? what problems are you
having now?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast