Re: [Evolution] Problems installing 1.2.1...

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 21:17, Bill Richards wrote:
Hello-

I'm a newbie and hate to post a question that's probably already been
re-hashed here a number of times. I did check the archive and saw some
related posts, but still have no resolution. I'm using RH8.0 and
installed the 1.0.8 version that shipped with the distribution. That
installed OK, but the composer didn't work (a dialog popped up about a
missing component). Using red-carpet I recently installed the 1.2.1
version, to try evolution again. That version won't start up due to a
missing Config database. I saw some posts regarding environment
variables, library pointers, etc. I tried some of those things, but it
still doesn't run for me. I did a fresh install after removing the
original packages- same thing. I'd love to try using evolution, but so
far I'm not very impressed... I would expect the install to be more
robust... any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm also a RH8.0 user, and using Evolution 1.2.1, installed from Red
Carpet.When you installed it, did you try installing the entire
Evolution Channel recommended install/upgrade list, or did you just
install Evolution (and the dependencies it pulled in), the way the RH8.0
page at ximian.com describes?

The basic problem, as I understand it, is that RH8.0 and Ximian Gnome do
not mesh yet (thanks, no doubt, to RH's casual changing of stuff in 8.0
- even to the point of chopping out entire functional areas in other
people's code when they packaged it for release), so if you want to
install Evolution, the safest way is to just select the Evolution
packages and let Red Carpet pull in the dependencies those packages need
to form a minimal operating program.

I am looking forward with great anticipation to a Ximian release that
fixes the problems that RH8.0 caused. I'm certain that once it's
possible to re-install the full desktop, a lot of the RH problems will
be cleared up.

--
Bill Hartwell <raven macmanusnet net>
MacManus Enterprises