Re: [Evolution] SMTP Error

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 15:07, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
lør, 2003-01-04 kl. 18:40 skrev Jeffrey Stedfast:

Well, if I was to hazard a guess based on a similar complaint in the
past... I'd say that your server doesn't like it when Evolution
re-EHLO's the SMTP server after a successful SASL authentication
sequence. In other words... your server is a hunk of crap and is not
rfc compliant (see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2554.txt Section 4 under
"Discussion", paragraph 6 - pasted below for your convenience).

One similar complaint?
______________________________

1025 [tonye:billy.demon.nl] /u/home/tonye $ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-billy.demon.nl ESMTP Exim 4.12 #1
220-Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:49:39 +0100
220-
220-This service will automatically and silently
220 discard all unsolicited commercial mail
ehlo localhost
250-billy.demon.nl Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
250-SIZE 2097152
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN CRAM-MD5
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
mail from: tonye billy demon nl
250 OK
data
503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
_______________________________________

If he don't have a "rcpt to:" in his mail, it will not work.

obviously. however, evolution afaik does not allow a user to queue a
message without recipients in the first place, so it would never get to
the SMTP code.

Is he stupid? Is he sending all his mail to nobody?

I'm guessing that he has specified recipients, if he hasn't... well,
duh. but as I stated above, I am pretty sure it's not possible to do in
Evolution.

Wake up, Jeffrey. you're usually one of the best, but too much on the
defensive, lately. Perhaps pressure of work.

nah, I know exactly what I'm saying. There was a report a while back
that had the same symtoms but was caused by Evolution re-issuing a EHLO
command just after the SASL authentication sequence. Somehow the server
got into a weird state and accepted the RCPT TO: command but when we
tried to send DATA, it flopped.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast