Re: [Evolution] Built-in spam filtering?

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 17:42, Not Zed wrote:
Its been suggested before ...

You could just use an external app, and link it in the same way the
spamassasin stuff is normally linked in.

I still think doing it at the server end is the way to go though,
otherwise you have to waste time downloading the message anyway.

Two points:

1) Setting up an external program is, at best, a PITA.  It's also a LOT
slower and managing the databases is very difficult when the mail store
is not local.  Still, I'll look into this when I have the time because
it's better than what I have now.

2) Do you actually control all of the mail servers you connect to?  I
don't.  One of them is controlled by a group that seems to think our
best move for the future is to switch to Exchange.  Their previuos spam
filtering system was to delete every bit of mail that matched certain
substrings without bothering to tell any of us what those substrings
were or to notify us that they deleted it.  Clearly not going to be real
helpful in putting a good spam filter up.

jim