Re: [Evolution] imap: evolution and eudora; moving files to trash folder

Thanks for the replies. I understand what Eudora is doing now. I didn't try too hard, but there was no apparent way to change Eudora's response. What I have decided is to use the Netscape 7.0 mail client on my laptop. It seems to do things the way evolution does and does not show mail that I have deleted in evolution. Netscape has the added advantage of putting outgoing mail in an imap folder of my choosing (Eudora requires a filter for this ... doesn't include attachments, and doesn't list by recipient), and it also does a move to (imap) trash on delete.

With regards to moving mail to trash, I am now spoiled by being able to access mail that I have purposely or accidentally deleted, so I don't want to empty the trash. In addition, I want to be able to access my trash from anywhere ... hence the struggles with imap. I am conditioning myself not to hit the delete key but rather to move the message manually to my (imap) trash folder. Maybe there is a way to do this in 1 or 2 keystrokes ... or to remap the delete key ...

Thanks again for the responses.

The issue is that IMAP doesn't have a "move" command, so what Eudora is
doing is copying the message to your trash folder, marking it deleted in
the inbox, and then expunging all deleted messages from inbox. This is
why deleting any message from within Eudora will delete all of your
Evolution-deleted messages.

Evolution does things the way that it does because it's faster for the
user, because expunging the folder is potentially a very slow operation,
and.

There's currently no way to make Evolution do things Eudora's way. There
is a bug somewhere in bugzilla suggesting this though. You might instead
want to see if Eudora has on option to do things Evo's way.

-- Dan