Re: [Evolution] Brave or stupid: Progress Made

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 13:09, Mike Kestner wrote:
On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 12:57, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:

That makes sense.  Right now the Evolution 1.2 version of the .oaf files
are in /usr/share/oaf, and the 1.3 in /usr/local/share/oaf.  I'll try
setting these variables in my startup script.  I'll report results.  The
only other way I can think of getting around that is to install the new
evolution in /usr so the .oaf files are in /usr/share.

1.3 uses bonobo-activation, not oaf.  So it's the
/etc/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-config.xml file that needs
manipulation.  Mine is attached.

Thanks.  That was the problem.  My file had nothing in it, so not only
could it not find the evolution servers files, it couldn't find any of
the other GNOME files.

For those others who are curious about the progress - like I was, here
is my conclusion on the current status of Evolution 1.3:
- Looks real good, especially the new HTML rendering of GtkHTML-3.. it
even uses the correct fonts when displaying received HTML mail.
- Still has a lot of useability issues.
  - Does not "upgrade" 1.2 accounts - had to add them from scratch
  - Vfolder editor has issues, but it did work with old vfolders file
  - Task folder could not be opened
  - Calendar crashes
  - all folders added to the shorcut bar forget their name and are
    called "mail" upon restart.
  - When the ~/evolution folder is removed and allowed to be recreated,
    the default folders are copied in incorrectly (can be worked
    around).
  - Many other things

Of course, noone has said that the work is close to done, so it is
actually farther along than I expected.

Basically, it's not to what I would consider alpha stage, yet... but, a
LOT of progress has been made, it looks REAL good, and I can try it out
now and then to watch the progress since it can be installed "along
side" of Evolution 1.2 - as long as you swap in/out ~/evolution
directories for the different versions.  So I'm happy. (do not try this
unless you are a very advanced user - or risk corruption and no
sympathy)

Keep up the good work guys!  Can't wait for the final product!

TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger