[Evolution] Search in 1.4.5

I am using 1.4.5 with Gentoo and Openbox3.

The problem is that I cannot type in my search string into the text box
above the message list. At startup it is grey and does not allow input.
I can double-click on the button to the left of the box, which only
lists "Advanced..." I can then use the advanced dialog box to do a
search.

After this I can type into the text box, unless I click on "Clear" in
which case the box goes gray again. If I get the advanced dialog box and
simply choose "cancel," I can then type in the search text box.

Any help appreciated.

SFK
--
Scott F. Kiesling <kiesling pitt edu>