Re: [Evolution] Mailing Labels

tor, 11.12.2003 kl. 17.45 skrev Donald Henson:

Hmmm ... those using LDAP for both will have no trouble with either.
LDAP rules ;)

Would you expand a bit on your comment. It sounds like a potential
solution to my problem but I know very little about LDAP.

I wouldn't know how to begin: LDAP is an attitude of mind. LDAP is
Pandora's magic box, it has no bottom, contains infinite possibilities
and is the heart and soul of any installation that I make. If a service
such as login, ssh, su, gdm/Gnome/KDE, my mail server, IMAP server,
address book, Samba, Apache - anything apart from DNS (though that can
as well) doesn't work with a single LDAP database, it's useless. Even
Evo works with LDAP. Even OpenOffice.org works with LDAP.

LDAP is a single, central database for a system, network or
organization, into which you can stuff every thinkable detail. Learning
how to cope with it is *not* easy, can cost you months. As I said, it's
an attitude of mind - either you want it and are prepared to take the
trouble to learn about it, or you don't.

Microsoft has a variant called Active Directory, Novell eDirectory, Sun
Sun One, IBM ... My chosen are Openldap and eDirectory - which goes
further than Openldap, but isn't necessarily better.

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://billy.demon.nl