Re: [Evolution] Migration problems

Sorry for the delay, I was offline for a week and just catching up
again.

Curiously, the only thing that didn't make the transition was the
calendar and task-related info.  I didn't have much there, so it's not a
big deal.

The point is, after running Evolution once, there is a backend still
running for calendar and tasks -- well, how will you ever expect to be
notified about calendar entries without that? ;)

You will need to --force-shutdown as well for copying calendar and
tasks. You even can do it now, to restore the old files.

I don't quite follow this part.  I copied in the original data before
running evolution, so I don't see how this can explain the original
absence of calendar/task data.  I have since done --force-shutdown, and
still don't see the data.

You never run Evolution on this account between the last reboot and
restoring the old data? If not, you are right: --force-shutdown should
not do anything then.

How are you proposing that I restore the the calendar and contact info?

Run 'evolution --force-shutdown' and restore the old data again. This
way should work, as long as the Contacts data isn't created by a very
anxious version of Evolution.

Also, it's possible the change in paths may be the source of the
problem; more about that below.

I have a couple of lingering concerns.  I also noticed that
~/.gconf/apps/evolution/shell/default_folders/%gconf.xml includes
entries like
<entry name="mail_path" mtime="1060730873" muser="ross"
type="string"><stringvalue>evolution:/local/Inbox</stringvalue></entry><entry name="mail_uri"
mtime="1060730873" muser="ross"
type="string"><stringvalue>file:///export/home/ross/evolution/local/Inbox</stringvalue></entry>

The "file:///export/home..." looks a little suspicious, since my old
machine, but not my new one, had a directory /export/home.  Is the
reference to /export to an actual path, or is it an internal magic word
for evolution?

That's a current limitation. The file:// URL is hard coded to the file
system, unfortunately. To perfectly restore old settings, you can
substitute (find, sed) these entries wit the new ones.

That said, I am not too sure, where this is being used.

This got me grepping around for the offending string, which made me
notice a few other things about the setup.  First, my on topic
questions:

I found the offending /export paths in several spots in .gconf.  I
assume I want to change those.  There were no occurrences in .gconfd,
.gnome, .gnome2, or .gnome2_private.  I also found some in evolution/.
My guess is I should change the entries in filters.xml (hmm, I wonder
what the filters do when they point to a non-existent folder).  The rest
seems to be in the bodies of messages.  I assume I can ignore this,
though I wonder if all the occurrences of
in evolution/local/Sent/mbox should be changed to assure consistency.

Yes, you should adjust the filters.xml file.

AFAIK the only directories with Evolution specific settings are in
~/evolution and ~/.gconf. You really can ignore the settings in the file
~/evolution/config.xmldb as this file isn't used since 1.3.x versions.

I assume I need to change, e.g., file:///export/home/ross/ to
file:///home/ross/ if /home/ross is my new home directory.

There is also a match in the binary file evolution/secmod.db; I'm not
sure what I can do about that or if it matters.

I assume I should make changes only after --force-shutdown.  Are there
any integrity checks built into the files (checksums, bytecounts) that
might making messing with them dangerous?

Dunno, but even after simply closing Evolution there are apps working
with some database files. Before editing them, you always should
--force-shutdown. Even reading may be an issue, as new contents are not
guaranteed to be written to disk before.

Now, off topic, I noticed copies of some of my messages, even IMAP
messages, under the evolution directory (evolution/mail/imap).  Is this
some kind of cacheing thing for performance?

Yep, AFAIK.

I also see different directories for each IMAP server, including ones
I'm not using.  Is it safe to delete these?  And when I edited my server
name after the move (from iron.libaux.... to localhost) am I right that
doing so threw out the info for the old host name and created it anew?

These files are "safe" to be removed (in fact, I did it myself more than
once without real harm). But please note, that at least Labels are
stored in this files and that removing them will remove all your labels.

Changing the host name therefore will create a new directory and will
not have those stored labels. You can try renaming/copying this
directory -- I assume it will work, although I never tried it.

P.S. Do you prefer if I send mail to the list only, without a copy to you?

I don't mind. But you sometimes will get my attention a little faster,
when Cc-ing me. ;)

...guenther