Re: Netscape as default browser (was: Re: [Evolution] Improper Mozillastart aft

#!/bin/sh
gnome-moz-remote --remote='openURL('$1', new-tab)' || gnome-moz-remote $1

Can this script be customized for Netscape 7.1?  For the past couple of
months, I've been searching for a way to use Netscape w/ Evo instead of
Mozilla.  Netscape is set as "default", but I need to know how to make a new
window or tab open while one window or tab is already open.

#!/bin/bash
netscape -remote='openURL('$1', new-tab)' || netscape $1     - This worked
for netscape

This is the same as I posted (basically, beside some very minor
changes). Just curious: Why did you do those changes?

I already modified the mozilla-remote.sh script for a guy, who appears
to have a disfunctional gnome-moz-remote -- I called the mozilla binary
directly (which had some slight disadvantages but does no harm), instead
of the gnome remote.

The following script uses the mozilla binary to open the link in a new
tab, if mozilla already running:

--- snipp --
#!/bin/sh
mozilla -remote 'openURL('$1', new-tab)' || mozilla $1 &
--- snipp ---

What is the "&" for at the end? Should this be added to my script?

The & runs the command in the background, thus giving me my shell back
when running this script by hand. You will need it at least, when
running the script from a terminal.

Now, as Netscape and Mozilla are very similar, I assume substituting
netscape for mozilla in the above script should do it.

Save the resulting script as netscape-remote.sh in your path and set the
executable right (for you).

Is it okay that I created a symlink?  /usr/local/netscape/netscape
netscape

Well, you did not say where exactly you created the symlink and why you
did. The netscape executable should be already in your path. You will
need the remote script to be in your path, too.

The script is saved in the new /bin (subdirectory of /home) that I created.
Does "set the executable ... etc" mean the permissions?  If so, is 755 okay?
  I'm the only user.

755 sets executable rights for the owner, group and others. That really
is enough. ;)

No write permissions for anyone but the owner and therefore safe.

Also, following your previous post, in
gnome-default-applications-properties, the following is inserted:
command: /home/user/bin/netscapetab.sh "%s"

You only need the file name without the path, if ~/bin is in your $PATH
environment variable. Then you even can run the script from the terminal
or any other app with private default browser settings.

HTH

Thank you.  It helps a whole lot.

You're welcome. :)

...guenther