Re: [Evolution] A few observations ..

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 00:26, Andrew Tunney wrote:
Given that I have just re-installed Linux, thought I would share some
thoughts with the Evolution community & see if anyone can direct me to
the relative tools that may do the job a bit better than my efforts
achieved.

1) After backing up Evolution, I had to import all of the contacts that
I had exported to .vcf individually.  This is a pain with a capital P,
surely there must be a method to import them all in one hit instead of
having to import one by one ?

2) There must be a better way to export / import data from a backed up
Evolution rather than take all the folders & then import them again one
by one ?

This is apparently achievable in Netscape/Mozilla mail with no problems,
also Eudora, Outlook & several others on the M$ platform (as much as I
hate to admit it).

I no programmer but surely someone in the Evolution development team can
devise a file format that is universal & of an open standard to back up
& restore mail easily ?!?

My method to backup and then restore evolution is close evolution and
then run killev (old) or force-shutdown (new version). Copy all the
files and directories from home/evolution to a CDR.  After reinstalling
(or more likely a fresh install of the latest linux version), I copy all
of the backed up evolution directory from the CDR to
home/temp/evolution.  In the temp/home directory I will do a recursive
chmod to home/temp/evolution.  Then copy/overwrite the directory
home/temp/evolution to home/evolution.

Nothing is done as individual files or directories.  My contact list is
approaching 400 entries and would not tolerate having to import each
.vcf individually.

I have kept my evolution directory INTACT for almost 2 years now, from
just after the beta up to v. 1.4.4.  Probably have some old files that
could be deleted, but I have not lost anything.

If someone has an easier method I would be interested, but the current
system is not too onerous.

--
Ralph Sanford       -       If your government does not trust you,
rsanford telusplanet net   -   should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key   -   0x7A1BEA01