[Evolution] Autocompletion not working

When I type an address into the To: field for sending a message, I am
not getting autompletion.  This worked OK in 1.2.4 on Solaris, but on
1.4.4 on Linux it's not working.  As described in previous messages,
this installation is a bit odd, having been created by copying the
evolution folder from Solaris.

I have checked that Contacts is set as my "contacts" folder (it was not
originally) and that it is in the autocompletion folders list.  (I also
tried removing it from the autocompletion folders, since that is marked
"extra" folders and I thought it might do contacts by default.  It
didn't help).

Any suggestions?
Thanks.