Re: [Evolution] FAQ? Signature placement in replies && Auto-expunge?

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 12:30, Matthew A. R. Sherian wrote:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 15:24, Eric Lambart wrote:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 10:32, Matthew A. R. Sherian wrote:
Two questions:

1)        When replying the signature is placed at the end of the in-line
quoted message. Is there a way to "top-post" the sig?

Nope.  Go read the list archives to find some fun flame wars on this
topic.
I can totally understand following the convention in Usenet. Top posting
in a public forum is mostly-evil. However the advent of Outlook/Eudora
and the like and the adoption of email by everyone has made top-posting
the norm. Alas, I must fall in line with this norm. Cest La Vie.

Hey, I don't disagree.  I sent my voice into the void already, it's in
the archive =)  Of course, inline posting certainly has its merits, too!

There is a very small chance it may become configurable some day, along
with the auto-text at the top of replies ("On Wed, 2003-08-13,
etc...").  But in reality neither is likely to happen unless someone
volunteers to code it.

2)  When marking messages as deleted a line goes through them, under
Connector the messages are then cleared by the server rather then moved
to deleted items. Under mbox-spools the messages are marked deleted and
then CTRL+E must be pressed to delete them. Again, they are not moved to
the trash folder. Is there a way to have the messages in either type of
mailbox moved to deleted items instead of marking them deleted by
pressing the delete/ctrl+d keys? Is there a way to auto-expunge messages
that are marked as deleted?

No, although having a REAL Trash folder is high on many folks' wishlists
and the Evo hackers claim it'll be done some day.  Meanwhile, they are
marked for deletion, which makes them appear in Evolution's "Trash
folder" (actually just a vFolder).  As you've noted, they will only be
deleted from the server when you expunge.  But go to View->Hide Deleted
Messages and you won't see them in your regular folders once you mark
them for deletion.

Are the messages that are marked as deleted ever auto-expunged? Or must
I, at some point remember to expunge them even if I am not viewing them?

I think the only way to auto-expunge is in Tools->Settings->Mail
Preferences, where you can have it auto-expunge on exit.  Probably not
what you want.  After all, once those messages are expunged, they're
gone forever.

I think one way you could still archive your trash whilst cleaning up
the various folders the messages were deleted from, is to mark all msgs
in the Trash, move them to another "RealTrash" folder and then expunge
the Evo Trash (expunging Trash is the equivalent of expunging all the
folders those deleted msgs came from).  Way too much hassle for me
though, and I rarely do want to find a message I'd deleted long ago.

E)

--
Eric Lambart <ximian nomeaning net>
No Meaning, Discorporate.