Re: [Evolution] Locking system.wide settings for a park of 500+ workstation.

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 17:20, guenther wrote:
   How can I lock some settings of evolution over 500+ workstations?
For instance, I want to lock the LDAP server hostname on the
workstations.  First time users would have nothing to setup and could
not screw it up.  Ideally, the configuration would lie on a server or
NFS mount with read only access for the user.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but here are some notes and thoughts
about this:

The file /usr/share/evolution/1.4/default_user/addressbook-sources.xml
seems to be the source for the pre-defined addressbook. It should be
possible, to edit this.

...bearing in mind that updates will clobber the changed version.

The user configuration is stored in ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/ using
GConf. You probably can make this a link, but I doubt read-only will
work without major problems...

http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.0/ has some advice on locking
down GConf settings, but I think ~/evolution/addressbook-sources.xml is
still used to define LDAP servers.  It may not be a problem if that's
read-only or a symlink to a file on a server (easier if an admin needs
to change something), but I haven't tested that approach.

-Mark Gordon