Re: [Evolution] Evolution-mail application crashes

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 07:04, Mohamed Salem wrote:
Dear all,
after unproper shut down of system redhat9. Ximian
evolution 1.2 is not starting the mail component. In
other words can't browse the folders.. It is sayin a
GNOME error evolution-mail application crashed due to
fatal error (segmentation fault).

[msalem localhost msalem]$ oaf-slay
panic: end_shift at /usr/bin/oaf-slay line 138.
?? what this means ?

Does the same thing here.  oaf-slay is a Perl script, and I've found
reports that suggest that it just doesn't work well with the Perl that
shipped with Red Hat Linux 9 (i.e. reverting to an older Perl fixes the
problem, though I'm not sure I'd recommend that).  It seems to work if I
run oaf-slay as root (caveat: don't do this on a terminal server).

some times when i cancel the Gnome crash it gives me
this in the shell of evoultion

evolution-shell-WARNING **: Error setting owner on
component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Mail_ShellComponent
-- CORBA error
??
and at the same time the mail settings dialog appears
.though i have all my acoounts ..

somew times this takes place
msalem localhost msalem]$ evolution

evolution-shell-WARNING **: Error setting owner on
component
OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Calendar_ShellComponent -- Old
owner has died
..

Warnings are often red herrings, unrelated to the actual problem.

I have moved evolution folder under home to another
directory ...and return it back nothin happend

$ mv ~/evolution ~/foo
$ mv ~/foo ~/evolution

This was while Evolution was running?

I don;t know what is going on....
It started to be  a hassle and all my work could be
lost and my contacts ...

I need an urgent assistance please ......

i have been for 6 hours in panic and all trials
failed..
I need please a detailed solution

A detailed solution is impossible without detailed description of what
exactly you did.  There is no magical "make it work" command.  Solutions
depend on the nature of the problem, and we don't know enough about the
nature of your problem to provide a detailed solution.

Contacts are stored in ~/evolution/local/Contacts/addressbook.db
If you have a backup of that file someplace, from back before things
broke, you can try shutting down evolution, killing all remaining
evolution components with the "killev" command, and copying the working
copy over the current broken one.

As for the other work, you'll need to provide more details.

-Mark Gordon