[Evolution] Unknown CORBA exception on Evo startup

After a restart, Evolution 1.3 didn't want to work anymore.  I get these
error dialogs upon startup, then an Evo window with a folder list but no
components or shortcut icons on the left.

Cannot activate component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Mail_ShellComponent :
The error from the activation system is:
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'

Cannot activate component
OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_ShellComponent :
The error from the activation system is:
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'

Cannot activate component
OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Calendar_ShellComponent:
The error from the activation system is:
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'

Cannot activate component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Summary_ShellComponent:
The error from the activation system is:
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'

When I subsequently logged out and back, the session manager was gone
too.

Thanks for any help.

-R