Re: [Evolution] Probable problem with filters *sigh*

Dagmar,

As this seems to be meant for the list (but you sent it to me
personally), I Cc: the list again. If you didn't want that, feel free to
slap me around with a large trout...

One would be thinking wrong apparently.  "Sender" in the context of the
filter apparently only looks at To: and CC: information and is ignoring
the Sender: header.  If I change the rule so that s/Sender/Specific
Header/ and set that header to Sender, it works just fine.  What gives?

Just tried that myself and got the expected results using 'Sender' for
your mail (using Evo 1.2.4).

And the string you were matching was _only_ present in the Sender:
field?  This is the thing I suspect which might be the reason this has
been overlooked.

Nope. I did right-click "Create Rule from Message / Filter on Sender",
which led to the following filter:
 Criterion:  "Sender", "contains", "dagmar speakeasy net"

Cross checking with the header of that mail:
 From: Dagmar d'Surreal <dagmar speakeasy net>
 Sender:  evolution-admin lists ximian com

So 'Sender' actually is the sender of the message (from a user point of
view). For the technical Sender: header you have to use 'Specific
header' criterion.

At least on 1.2.4 it used the sender address (From:) instead of the
buggy To: and Cc: as you observed with 1.3.2.

Still, can anyone confirm that?

I suspect a bug in your beta version. According to the header of your
mail you are using Evolution 1.3.2 (Preview Release).

Well, to be honest, the people who put together how the filters work don't
think the same way I do so I was basically waiting to hear if there was a
/reason/ this was an expected behaviour before filing it in Bugzilla.

Sorry, I don't get that. As you are messing around with specific
headers, you sure have a technically point of view -- as like as the
Ximian hackers...

I've
got one for the calendar I'll probably file this weekend if I can't figure
out what it takes to make the week view start with Monday instead of Saturday
(which to most people I think would be somewhat useless) because I'm somewhat
more certain it shouldn't be like it is now.

If it important for the forthcoming 1.4 release, please file it soon.
Even more, when it breaks behavior in 1.2.x versions and is purely wrong
-- like this one...

My question for bugzilla was just meant as a hint... ;-)

...guenther