Re: [Evolution] Downloading on another machine?

Sorry for self-quoting, but it has come to my attention, that my English
sometimes (this time in particular) is bad and really hard to
understand.

I will try to improve my English. I know how hard it can be for non
native English speaking people, to understand each other.

Anybody, feel free to "slap me around with a large trout" if you cannot
understand anything in future posts... ;-)

I am thinking of upgrading to Evolution 1.2.4, and to a Ximian build at
that.

But I don't want to  Red Carpet at this place, because the traffic is
expensive. I'd also like to be able to install Evolution on other
machines whish may only have dialup Internet access.

I can get access to a machine with free traffic. But it is running
Windows.

So, it is possible to somehow download Evolution (and perhaps Red
Carpet?) on another machine, running Windows, to burn a CD, and then to
install it (using Red Carpet&) from that CD?

Mikhail,

Download the RPMs from the ximian ftp server that are compiled for your
distribution. Burn them on CD and copy them on your local HDD.

Red Carpet should install local RPMs that are already in your cache
instead of downloading them again. See
 Settings / Preferences / Cache / Path

You can even try File / Install Local Packages to select the RPMs
directly, you want to install.

In both cases, Red Carpet may have to contact the server for index
files, so you likely will need Internet access at least to start RC.

To avoid any Internet access (as it is expensive) you install the RPMs
you burned to CD with the 'rpm' command.

I do hope, this time my comments are better to understand.

...guenther