Re: [Evolution] system upgrade wierdness (lost settings)

Trimming away some of the irrelevant bits of this conversation...

Playing the nice-poster game... 8-)

[ gnome-spell ]
Evolution uses a component, i.e. another process that, in theory, can
handle spelling for multiple applications.  Doesn't seem to work that
way in practice.  Most other apps are using libraries directly rather
than the component.

ok, thanks for that bit of info -- learn something new every day.

I like to tweak and optimize things, that are more under the hood and
not visible to the user. Having a GUI for that is good -- but having no
choice besides the GUI is not the traditional UNIX/Linux way.

There is a command-line interface: gconftool (which now comes in
gconftool-1 and gconftool-2 flavors).  Useful for scripting, e.g. in
package postinstalls.  Arguably superior in that regard to scriptable
text editing, e.g. sed.

Sure there is, I know about those. And you are right, that way is better
for scripting. Changing those settings as user is easy with a GUI (GConf
or the app) and not so crypted.

However, I hope there is a way to simply extract a whole tree (for a
special app) and feeding that tree in GConf on another machine. I don't
know about that (if or if not) but that gets high priority on my list to
learn about...

FWIW: I think I can deal with a centralized configuration. At least it
is done by hackers, that sure wanna even more control than I want. And i
doubt, we will end up with such a mess like the MS registry...

Notable advantages of GConf over the MS registry:

- It's entirely user-level; no machine-level settings stored in GConf.
- That being the case, problems won't prevent the machine from booting
and shouldn't even prevent you from loggin in, assuming you have a "safe
mode" alternative to GNOME, e.g. the console, remote login, or vanilla
X.

Hopefully another one:
- using real database as background (deleting key shrinks db)

This thread goes totally OT. But at least I am interested in discussing
Gnome stuff besides Evo. And right now the volume isn't as high in here
as in recent months -- seems, Evo hackers have ironed out the most
bugs... ;-)

...guenther