Re: [Evolution] Printing messages

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 09:36, Tom Cross wrote:
On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 05:04, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

On 12-Sep-2002/23:03 +0930, Not Zed <notzed ximian com> wrote:
i'm not saying it couldn't also be addressed at the evolution level
either, but it might be easier to fix outside of evo, as it will affect
all applictions anyway.

I think he's talking abut the way Outlook prints the current user's
fullname at the top of the page. If I print an email message using a2ps it
prints something like "Printed for Anthony E. Greene". Eudora does
something similar.

It could be solved using a banner page, but that's a waste of paper and
it's a common feature in Evolution's primary competition.

I would say that we don't have any primary competition. This is Unix
afterall, and Outlook is Windows.

Also Windows and Unix do things differently. Maybe Windows doesn't have
a way to configure a banner page and so in Windows a program *must*
print the user's name itself.

Yes, exactly.  I was almost sure that outlook did that, but didn't want
to mention it just in case I was wrong.  :-)

Banner pages are an idea, but I KNOW I would get yelled at for wasting
paper when all they want is their name at the top of the page.

Wasting a single page? Man, and I used to work for the Department of
Environmental Protection and people weren't *that* insane.

Also, as NotZed said earlier - it's a waste of time to solve it in
Evolution when every other application will also either need to be fixed
or have the print system setup a banner page. Might as well solve the
problem once and forall by just using a banner page if that's what
people want.

If I were to want to make this change myself in the evolution code,
where would I look?  I took two minute yesterday to look but couldn't
find where the printing of email messages happen.  :-/

Mailer printing is done in
evolution/mail/mail-callbacks.c:do_mail_print()

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.