Re: [Evolution] Password lock

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 09:43, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
Well, I have to say "NOTABUG" because technically, the login did fail
and so in order to login, we must try again. We have to assume that the
password was invalid. I know your POP server replied with info saying
that the mail spool was locked by another process, but POP defines no
way for a client application to know this. All POP defines is +OK for
when things work out ok and -ERR for failures.

How about (what seems to me to be) a simple change in the popup window?
Add a button that says "Retry" to attempt re-connection using the old
password?  In my only recently-gone POP3 days, it was incredibly
annoying to have to re-enter the password when it wasn't changed.

Furthermore, to appease those folks who complain about returning after
the weekend to find Evolution stuck on a "bad password" message, I have
this suggestion: auto-retry the old password at least 5 times.  Do it at
least 5 times, either every 15 minutes or the user-set mailcheck
interval, whichever is LONGER.

You could also consider having a flag that keeps track of whether the
user has ever succesfully entered a correct password for that account
(and reset that obviously, when the user chooses to reset passwords).
Oh wait, you have that, don't you?  I presume you don't save the
password until it has been used successfully at least once, right?  A
couple simple lines of code and you wouldn't bother auto-retrying or
offering a Retry option if there's no saved password.

Just my 2 pesetas.

Eric

--
I have nothing against the American people...
...but it is time for a regime change