[Evolution] TLS/authenticated SMTP

So,
While trying to get the beta 1.2 evolution up and running with our authenticated SMTP servers here at Columbia using TLS and Plain authentication, i did manage to get a confirmation box asking if i wanted to accept the certificate for the server, but i've never received a box asking for a password. instead i simply receive a notice saying proper authentication is required... My username is correct, but changing it to anything still doesn't evoke a change.

Anyone have any idea how to enter a password for sending?

thanks,
ben hall
bnh1 columbia edu