Re: [Evolution] Evolution changed my login

You are right, it doesn't sound like anything an MUA installation
should change, but when I poked around my /etc/inittab, I found that it
had been set from /usr/bin/kdm to /etc/lib/prefdm (a gnome component).
Seems like Red Carpet assumed that, as an Evolution user, I should be
using all Gnome stuff.

Truthfully, I don't know WHY it was changed, but I've learned to make
single changes to my system at a time so that if anything goes wrong, I
know WHAT caused it.  I'm certain that it was Red Carpet that did it.

Now I didn't have Red Carpet before installing Evolution.  When
installing Evolution I was presented with a choice of installing only
Evolution, or the complete Ximian Desktop.  I chose Evolution only.
During the course of installing Evolution, Red Carpet asked for
permission to replace TWO PACKAGES -- jpilot and balsa.  I agreed to
the changes and proceeded.  Then it went ahead and deleted 109
PACKAGES!, including the standard pilot-link (which was replaced by
pilot-link.ximian and gnome-pilot).  The progress indicator of the
installer indicated that it was removing 109 packages, but I haven't
seen a log file indicating which packages were removed.  So far, I only
know of the 'visible' ones like the aforemention login manager change
and pilot-link.

Not Zed, do you know if there is a log file created, and where I can
find it?  Red Carpet/Evolution is the first open source install that
made so many changes to my system without notifying me in advance.

Art