[Evolution] using evolution to find files (really!)

I keep all my interesting files underneath one directory. Of course
files are nicely placed in sub directories so that files on the same
topic are in the same directory. However after doing this for many many
years, i find myself spending more and more time searching for a file.
Especially if i only remember part of the file name. What I used to do
was:

find /the/directory | grep 'part' | grep 'another part'

But what i really wanted to see was the files in order: last created
first. Now i know you can do all that with find and sort etc etc. but i
got tired of that and now use evolution.....

Here is how:

whenever i have added enough new files (or daily via crontab) i run a
script called mktime. This perl script creates a new evolution local
folder called time. In this folder is a message for every single file
underneath my directory. The Send date of the message is the creation
date of the file. The subject line is the full name of the file. The
from part contains the year month, day and weekday the file was created.
The message body contains an html link to the file so when i click on it
the file is opened in my browser.

I can now do the following:

1. click on the Date column and sort the files/messages by date: oldest
first or newest first

2. i can use Subject contains filter to only show .txt files

3. i can use Sender contains filter to show all files created on sunday

4. i can use subject contains filter to show all files containing the
strings ".xls" and "money" (which will list all my excel spread sheets
that have money in the name (none in my case).

5. etc etc

If anyone is interested let me know and then i can post my 113 line perl
script.

I am sure that with some vfolders added things can be come quite
interesting...

PS: the time mbox file is really small: each message takes up less than
1000 bytes