Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.2 & LDAP with MS Exchange Server -- Sorted

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 19:13, Dick Roth wrote:
Chris--

I don't know what kind of server, except that it is not Exchange (the
server is unix-based).

hm, I'm going to see about crafting some checks to determine server
types (if it's possible in all cases, I'm only sure it's possible for
openldap.)

  Here is the .xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<addressbooks>
  <contactserver>
    <name>Lincoln Directory</name>
    <description/>
    <port>389</port>
    <host>llph</host>
    <rootdn>o=mit_lincoln_laboratory</rootdn>
    <scope>one</scope>
    <authmethod>none</authmethod>
    <ssl>never</ssl>
    <limit>200</limit>
  </contactserver>
</addressbooks>

wombat results:

[dick raroth downloads]$ wombat
wombat-Message: Starting wombat
Wombat up and running
wombat-pas-Message: libldap vendor/version: OpenLDAP  2.00.11
wombat-pas-Message: extensions present:
wombat-pas-Message: X_OPENLDAP
wombat-pas-Message: X_OPENLDAP_V2_REFERRALS
wombat-pas-Message: TLS not available (ldap_error 0x5c)

wombat-pas-WARNING **: could not perform query on Root DSE

wombat-pas-WARNING **: pas_backend_ldap_connect failed for
'ldap://llph:389/o=MIT_LINCOLN_LABORATORY'

wombat-pas-Message: TLS not available (ldap_error 0x5c)

wombat-pas-WARNING **: could not perform query on Root DSE

wombat-pas-WARNING **: pas_backend_ldap_connect failed for
'ldap://llph:389/o=MIT_LINCOLN_LABORATORY'

I tried changing the scope to "base", "sub" and "one", without
productive result.  The wombat exchange above is reflective of trying
the search twice, once "sub" and once "one" as offered in the Settings
tool.

yeah, the settings dialog is where the problem is (with the scope
anyway), so setting it to "sub" and "one" actually set it to "one" and
"base", respectively.  But that setting only affects searches, and your
connection isn't even getting that far :/

I'm committing some more diagnostic output to the ldap backend, so it'll
actually tell what the error is when the root DSE query fails.  Right
now the only thing that seems even remotely possible (given the complete
lack of diagnostics :/) is that the name lookup might have failed?  does
that host (llph) resolve properly outside of evolution?

Chris, I feel compelled to say that I don't use Evo because it bears a
resemblance to Outlook.  I have never seen Outlook (nor do I care to).
I use it because it has been a great tool in doing business day to day.
Given this and my hope that the Linux desktop can become a true
competitor in the marketplace, I hope that future releases of Evo and
other great Gnome (Ximian and otherwise) tools will become defect-free
enough to win some decisions to move from the MS paradigm to Open
Source.

Well said, and I hope so too :)

Oh, and I was rather shocked when I ran outlook for the first time a few
months ago :)

The server checking stuff should be in CVS next week if you build from
CVS or in the next point release whenever that is (should be very soon).

Chris

Dick