[Evolution] Japanese support: what fonts to use?

Hello:

I have been trying to get Evolution (evolution-1.2.0-1.ximian.1) to work with Japanese. I do all the necessary "LANG=ja_JP.eucJP GDM_LANG=ja_JP.eucJP XMODIFIERS= im=kinput2 evolution" and can view Japanese in (most) menus, but incoming e-mails do not display correctly. The text just appears as ________.

I was thinking maybe the "helvetica" fonts were not suitable and tried changing font settings to try out some double-byte fonts, but while now kanji displays, it's just random gibberish.

Can somebody please let me know what they are using for font settings? By the way, it might be a good idea to allow font settings per character encoding (like Netscape has).

Thanks in advance.