Re: [Evolution] Comments on Evolution 1.2

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 11:18, Not Zed wrote:

<snip>

Dont even know what this is.  But that doesn't sound like a showstopper.

No.  None of these things are.  Evolution 1.2 is very, very good.  IMHO
it is the first piece of open source office software that is on a par
with Microsoft's equivalent offering - better in some ways, in fact.  An
extraordinary achievement, considering the resources Microsoft has to
throw at the problem.

<snip>

- When reading mail the ',' and '.' rarely seem to work.  I have not
  been able to find a pattern as to when they do and don't.  Also,
  it would be nice if shortcuts like that appeared in the menu.  It
  means you can learn about their existence without reading the help.
  That is a seems to be an attribute of Microsoft products - you can
  use them without referring to the help by just using the hints the
  GUI gives you.

They were changed to [ and ].  They do show up in the menu as a
shortcut.

I read about ',' and '.' on this list.  I went looking but could not
find the message again - but I found other references to them.  It turns
out I was confused - I thought ',' and '.' moved between all messages,
whereas they actually move between unread messages - and they work
exactly as the author intended.  According to CVS ',' and '.' were added
2002-09-03.  The documentation is wrong about this - it says N & P move
between messages - they don't.

I tried to attach the key bindings *Alt*Left and *Alt*Right to moving
between all messages (as opposed to just unread ones).  They are the
bindings Outlook uses.  It sort of works - you have to press them
twice, and they aren't displayed in the menu.

<snip>

- Read receipts (aka Disposition Notifications).  Obviously you guys
  don't consider them important, this being the second major release
  and they are still not there.  I do - enough to spend a pleasant
  hour or so going through the source finding a way to turn them on
  permanently.  I suspect a lot of others in corporate environments
  like mine place the same importance on them I do.  Its not like its
  hard.

There is no standard for implementing this.  It wouldn't be much use
adding it if most mailers dont support it and subseqeuntly it doesn't
work for most users.

Re: No standard.  That is wrong.  RFC 2298 is devoted to describing
these things should work.  Outlook & Outlook Express, the products
Evolution is trying to replace, do support it.  Other modern email
clients such as kmail and mozilla also support it.  So I suspect your
concern about  "most mailers dont support it" is unfounded, particularly
as it is not meant to be a reliable mechanism in any case.

However, I see that this topic has already been discussed here:
"http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2001-November/014443.html";. It seems its the usual problem
of too little time and too much to do - they would accept a patch if it was done properly.  Fair enough.

<snip>