[Evolution] Lost mail... help!

Hi, and help!

I'm running Evo 1.2 on Mandrake 8.2. I just lost access to all my mail.

I can see in the folders list that I have new mail in some folders, but
no matter what folder I select, I don't even see a message list (I have
thousands of messages in a number of different folders).

My folders are in mbox format. If I look at the mbox files, they have
all of the mail in them (yay!) so I haven't really LOST anything, I just
can't get at it. As a step to try to make sure I don't lose anything,
I've temporarily renamed my evolution directory (after killing evo).

This started out of the blue - I saw a new message in my Inbox (pop3,
not imap, so the mail was local already), selected the folder, and
though I saw the folder contents, the new message did not appear. I
tried to exit evolution to restart, it hung on the way down, I did a
killev and restarted, same deal. I tried again, it hung going down
again, I did an oaf-slay, same deal.

If I look in the mbox file from my Inbox, the last message had a huge
(33000 line) attachment that is a base64 encoded '.asf' file (whatever
that is).

Any ideas how to recover?

Thanks!

Ross