[Evolution] Signatures and HTML

In search of trying to understand why text wasn't being properly wrapped
from a script, I accidentally came upon an email saying that signatures
need to be formatted as HTML. Can someone explain why it is that way?
I've gotten it work, but when trying to take input from other programs
in that script the text is not formatted properly. This was noted by
using the "fortune" program. Some of its saying are preformatted but
when they are used as part of the sig any line breaks are lost. Just
curious. Look forward to understanding how the signatures work. Thanks.

- Greg