Re: [Evolution] Evolution-1.2 vs pgp encryption

Hello Jeffrey,
     Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 22:16, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:51, Stacey Roberts wrote:
?Hello,
     I've just updated evolution on a box here:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD Demon.vickiandstacey.com 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Sat
Oct 12 10:04:03 BST 2002
root Demon vickiandstacey com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FALCON  i386
$

I followed the instruction included in the link sent by Joe Marcus
Clarke:
http://developer.ximian.com/projects/evolution/release_notes/1.2.html

Then restarted Evolution, which appeared to load okay. However I
attempted to test sending mail, and found that I am no longer able to
send email with "PGP Sign" enabled. I get the error: "Failed to execute
gpg". I have always had pgp-6.5.8 insatalled *and* working with
Evolution-1.0.8, is pgp-6.5.8 support now broken for the new version?

Evolution no longer supports anything other than gnupg.

Err.., sorry if I missed something here, but was this information
available in the release notes that I didn't see, or something?

Why not? because I rewrote the pgp backend code to be much more robust
and pgp2, pgp5, and pgp6.5.8 didn't have the options I needed such as
--status-fd nor --command-fd so they were dropped.

there were also numerous problems with the pgp programs such as:

- pgp2 will always exit with the status code of 0, depsite whether or
not the signature being verified was valid or not.

- pgp6.5.8 will re-prompt for the passphrase on stdin even when in batch
mode. This causes major problems when being used by another application
because if the user supplied a wrong passphrase, then pgp6 would wait
for a second passphrase to be given on stdin except that evolution
expects that pgp6 is waiting for the message data on stdin, and so
passes that instead... at which point evolution then waits for pgp6 to
exit and write the decrypted/signed/whatever data to stdout, which it
never does because it hasn't gotten a valid password yet.

doesn't that sound like fun?

I looked everywhere for what used to be the field to include the pgp
binary (as it was in Evolution-1.08, which I had until earlier today),
but can't locate it. Evolution help only points me to where I include my
key under the security tab, but nothing else.

Yea, the option doesn't exist anymore. We now just use execvp() and let
the shell find the pgp binary for us. It makes the UI oh so much simpler
for the average user.

All of the above might well be great Jeffrey, but there *are* lots of
users that might well still, for whatever reasons, want to actually have
the ability to choose whether or not they use gnupg or not as their pgp
mail signing / encryption engine.

I'm not a hacker in any sense of the word, so do forgive me if this is
asking an obviously tripe question, do at least entertain giving it to
me straight, as best as you can:-

1] Is it still possible for users to point Evolution to their (installed
/ formerly perfectly working non-gnupg version of pgp?

2] If this *is* possible, how would one go about making it so?

Thanks for taking the time, and the information.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards,
Stacey

Jeff