[Evolution] STILL no sound for new mail notification

Okay, the last time I submitted this it was instantly marked resolved as
invalid by Jeff, but something weird IS going on here. Evolution will
NOT play a sound or beep when new mail arrives, despite the fact that it
WILL play a sound for a filter action.

     1. I am NOT using IMAP at all.
     2. Fetchmail runs as a daemon and drops mail from various sources
        into /var/spool/mail/darren.
     3. Evolution fetches mail from the above spool file and drops the
        messages in Local Folders/Inbox every five minutes.
     4. Sound is working perfectly: as I said, Evolution WILL play
        sounds for a filter.

However, no matter what I try as a setting Evolution will not play a
sound or beep when new messages arrive in my Inbox. I even tried
creating a filter called "New Mail", and put it at the top of the
filters list, whose sole criterion is if recipient contains my email
address and whose sole action is to play a sound, and STILL no sound is
played when I send a test message to myself. BUT if I add a play a sound
action to any other filter, such as a mailing list filter, then a sound
is indeed played.

As I know that the New Mail Notification is in fact a special kind of
filter, I was wondering if there is something in my current filters.xml
which is screwing it up, but I tried shutting down Evolution, running
killev, moving filters.xml, restarting Evolution and still I get no new
mail notification.

I would like to track this down ... I don't think something should be
disregarded just because it is very obscure or very hard to reproduce.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com           www.dzr-web.com