Re: [Evolution] Evolution autocompletion - I think it IS broken now........

Hi Srikanth,

I'm beginning to think you are right!

I just did some experiments........

First, I removed my local contacts contents,as the addresses I tested
happen to be in both local contacts db and the remote LDAP server. I did
that for performance reasons - our LDAP server is in a different
country, so having frequently used addresses local makes a big
difference.

So, I added the relevant line for the LDAP autocompletion in a number of
different ways :-

As a complete <section
path="/Addressbook/Completion">.........</section>
both before and after the existing section.

As just the  <entry name="uri" type="string" value="... line in the
existing Addressbook/Completion section, both before and after the
existing entry.

Neither works!  I can still use the LDAP server manually as an alternate
addressbook source, so I know the parameters are right.  I guess that
means that at some point between 1.02 and 1.05, it got broken.

I note that the entry line gets turned into a massive hex string under
some circumstances.  Then I noticed that when I had the new entry line
before the existing one (which always seems to be a hex string), it gets
turned into a hex string which is identical to the first one!  Then,
when I do a completion from the local contacts, and a menu of possible
matches is offered, each entry comes up twice. It seems that having two
identical entries causes two searches.

However, none of the experiments caused LDAP autocompletion to work any
more.  That means the instructions in the knowledge base are now not
useful.

There is a possible alternative :- I used ldapsearch to get a local copy
of my LDAP server's database locally in an LDIF file.  Then I import it
into the local contacts file.

The ldapsearch program is pretty simple to use - for me it's ldapsearch
-x -h <ServerName> -b ou=people,o=company.com -s one > myldap.ldif

Then import the file myldap.ldif with evolution's importers.

If any Ximian folks look at this, can you test if the knowledge base
instructions are now non-functional?

Paul