Re: [Evolution] LDAP, LDIF, and WTF? :)

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 15:56, Brian wrote:
For grins & giggles, I've been teaching myself the basics of LDAP.  I've
got ldapadd, ldapsearch, and ldapdelete down and have my rudimentary
skills in place.  I decided to create a contact in evolution then do an
ldapsearch to see what schema was associated with which record in the
'contact editor'.  Everything made sense till I ran across this:

homePostalAddress:: MTMxMyBNb2NraW5nYmlyZCBMbgpKYWNrc29uLCBNUyAzOTEzMA==

This looks nothing like what I entered into the contact editor, yet if I
delete the record, and add it back (importing the info from the
ldapsearch as an ldif file) this gobbledygook transforms itself into the
address I entered originally.

What I want to know is what causes this?  Is it normal? And how do I add
a contact's address with ldapadd that evolution will see properly?

Your address probably contained a character that ldap thought was not
safe to store directly, what you are seeing here isn't technically
gobbledygook  =), but is what you entered, encoded as base64...

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles redhat com
Senior System Architect