[Evolution] Accented characters with a US keyboard: The answer

   I have received a number of answers, each of them
useful in its own way, which nevertheless make me
think that I am not totally alone in my confusion.
Thanks to those answers, and to some investigation
I've done on my own, I think I have pulled it off.
Here is a summary of the steps I have taken:

   1) Defined a compose key. This is done by means of
the xmodmap command. A useful guide on how to do this
can be found in

http://www.sober.com/content/accented_characters.html

    I defined one of those Windows-only keys (so that
it stops being useless) by means of

    xmodmap -e "keycode 117 = Multi_key"

    In my keyboard, keycode 117 corresponds to the
Windows-only key directly to the left of the right
control key.

    2) In the Keyboard section of my XF86Config file I
made sure I have the following lines:

    Option "LeftAlt"     "Meta"
    Option "RightAlt"    "ModeShift"
    Option "XkbLayout"   "us_intl"

    3) I added to my .Xdefaults file the following
lines:

    vt100*EightBitInput: True
    XTerm*EightBitInput: True

    4) In order to be able to type accented characters
at the bash command line I just did as described in

  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/bash

    5) The list of key sequences that return accented
characters can be found (in my Slackware distribution,
at least) in

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose

    That's it. I can't guarantee that this will work
everywhere, and I am sure that some of the things I
did were not necessary.

    The fact is, I can now do exactly what I wanted to
do, and more - my intention was to get it to work
under Evolution; as it happens, it now works in
Evolution, terminal emulators (xterm, Eterm, which is
what I use,) news reader (Pan) and browser (Galeon.)

    Thanks everybody for your feedback.