[Evolution] Add sender to address book causes hang

I'm running Evo 1.0.2 on Mandrake 8.1 Linux 2.4.8-26,
the version of Evo downloaded from the XIMIAN FTP
site for M/8.1.

I'm having a lot of problems with the address book
mechanisms.

1) When I have a mail message selected or open and
   try the "Actions -> Add sender to address book"
   I get a window saying "Querying addressbook".
   Then, like the old game says, "nothing happens".
   I've let this sit over lunch and them some and
   "nothing happens".

   What's going on?

2) The address book entries I imported work - most
   of the time.  If I right click on a contact I
   get a menu on which every item works as expected,
   but only the first time after starting evo.  On
   all subsequent events, all the items _except_
   "open" work.  I.e. I can't edit the entry.

   What's going on?

Is anyone else experiencing these problems or anything
similar?  Any suggestions as to what can be done about it?

Anton J Aylward