[Evolution] Questions on Expunging

Hello all,
  I have a couple of questions concerning the expunge function within
Evolution:

1.  Every once in a while when I do the "Send and Receive" function in
Evolution I see a message at the bottom of the screen that says:
"Expunging deleted messages" (or something like that; it goes by really
fast and I can't reproduce it on demand).  However, when I look in the
Trash vfolder there are still several messages there.  On occasion I
have gone back into the Trash folder to look for something that I
deleted and have not been able to find it.  So my question is: Is this
"function" that I see when sending and receiving doing some type of date
sensitive expunge? (i.e. expunging everything older than 'x' days).  To
me it doesn't appear that this is the case because I still see messages
in the trash folder that are several months old.  Never the less, as
mentioned earlier, I have at times been unable to recover deleted
messages, and sometimes I know the message that I am looking for is
newer than other messages I see in the trash folder.

2.  Also regarding expunging messages, is there any way to selectively
permanently delete messages?  There are certain messages I receive that
once I read (or in some cases, not read) and delete there is a very good
chance that I won't need to recover them.  However, for other messages
there is a greater chance that even after I delete them I may need to
look back at them some point in time.  Even if the process was a manual
one, I would like to go into the Trash vfolder and, for example,
highlight all messages from a certain mailing list and permanently
delete them.  Is this function available, and I am just missing
something?  If not, is this something that is planned for a future
release?

Thanks,
John Welch
Systems Analyst