Re: [Evolution] Evolution takes very long to read IMAP folders

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Alexander Skwar wrote:

So sprach Not Zed am 2002-06-13 um 21:50:06 +0930 :
them away and rely on the summary content, or store them some other,
more efficient way (like a null mbox).

Hm, wouldn't a null "Maildir" be even more efficient (at least on some
filesystems - but then again, mbox is not always faster as a Maildir).

In this case - no.  The problem is lots of small files which are
inefficient for most filesystems, and mailir wouldn;t help this at all.

There are also some overheads in evolution not related to imap at all,
but the displaying of the list of messages, which start to impact more
once you get above a few thousand messages.  We're looking at addressing
these issues too, but they probably dont rate very highly in your
timings anyway.

Yes, that's right.  After Evo has finished loading the folder, there's a
short delay.  But taken the other huge delays, I don't care much at all
about this delay.

*nod*

mailing list' continues to work usefully, its still not going to be as
fast as mutt, although it should be faster than currently.

Well, if you could get it to be at least as fast as Mozilla is (in terms
of reading a folder), then it would be good.

Well, we're working on it, but it might take a whiel to realise it.

Might have to make it an option so users can decide what is more
important to them - speed or features.

Yes, that's very important.  The way it is now, Evo just isn't usable
for me over IMAP :(

I found it very unusable over a remote link myself :(  We'll try to
address it, but it might take a while, its not a trivial job to get it
right.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote: http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)