Re: [Evolution] big mbox

As a one-time sysadmin for several years, I know what i'd say to this
... but i digress.

Compression is not available.  And even if it was, it wouldn't be usable
with mbox format (i mean it would be too slow).  You could try turning
off indexing, but that wont save a great deal.

You might be able to create a softlink from one of the directories (e.g.
evolution/local/Mail -> <some_path>/Mail), and just have it work. I
would experimnent a bit first.  You cannot link just the mbox file.

You have a bunch of other alternatives too, although most of these only
work with 1.1.x:

 - [1.1.x] Create another directory tree, and store a bunch of mbox
files in it by folder name (like with pine or elm), and add a new
'account' which is of type "Directory tree of mbox files", and just
point it to the directory containing the mbox files.  This will be the
slowest to run though.

 - [1.1.x] do the same, with mh, actually, dont do that :)

 - do the same, with maildir, e.g.
mkdir /path/Maildir
mkdir /path/Maildir/cur
mkdir /path/Maildir/tmp
mkdir /path/Maildir/new

Then create a 'maildir format mail directories' account pointed to
/path/Maildir, then copy your mail across using evolution (and create
any additional subdirectories, etc).

Maildir will use a bit more disk space though.

 - you could leave some of your mail in the system 'inbox', using a
'standard unix mbox spools' provider, but this is kinda slow too, and
beware of solaris based sendmail (which writes a different mbox format).

Unfortunately evolution has no archiving abilities ...

And yes, the sysadmin answer, learn to delete stuff you dont need
anymore, or archive it manually - do you really need so much mail
online? :)  If the answer is yes, then go hassle your sysadmin, he's
there to serve you :)