[Evolution] Affecting Evolution from the outside

Hi.
Is there any way to tell Evolution to do stuff without using the GUI? My
problem is that I have a dial-up connection and when I'm not connected I
get those requesters all the time telling me Evolution can't check my
mail account. So I simply have to change Evolutions online/offline state
everytime I connect/disconnect to Internet. I have scripts that's
executed when pppd goes online/offline, it would be nice if those
scripts could tell Evolution to change state as well...

(Excuse me if this is a stupid question. I'm new in the Linux world from
the Amiga world. On my dear old Amiga I would have solved this easily
using ARexx ;-)

--
/Daniel Eriksson <daner964 student liu se>