[Evolution] IMAP behavior in disconnected mode

I almost exclusively use IMAP (over 20 folders and only 2 pop3). I would
like to get some pointers on how to use IMAP in disconnected mode as I
have and always had problems with Evo in that mode. When away from the
office, I would like to be able to open Evo and not have it try to
connect to my IMAP server. Or if it does I would like to quickly cancel
the connection attempt to go in offline mode.

But when I "cancel all" from the send/receive all, it takes forever (I
am never patient enough to see if it actually succeed). Also I kind of
remember that I used to be able to cancel an action in the status bar by
right-clicking on it and choosing cancel operation from the resulting
pop-up menu. But now I don't get that anymore.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks

pascal