[Evolution] Re: [Red-carpet] Red-Carpet + Proxy = Segfault or Hang?

> > If you set the proxy to use an HTTP proxy, you get a "can't reach" error
> > (sorry, I'm writing this from home, don't have the exact message) before
> > even downloading channel information.  Hit "retry" about three times,
> > and the client hangs.

> What kind of proxy is run?
Apparently it's a "cacheflow," a dedicated hardware proxy, if I understand what was reported to me correctly. I tried several different proxy servers inside HP (by which I mean different addresses) and the same thing happened.
> Can you run with the -d 6 option?
Yes, but it didn't get very far, and I didn't capture the output to send, alas.
> Also, try
> setting the HTTP 1.0 option in the Proxy section of the preferences
> dialog.
You mean as opposed to the "socks" selection?  Did that.  The whole thing seems to hang before even downloading the initial rdf file from red-carpet.ximian.com.  I thought, "a ha, HP is blocking access because too many people are downloading ximian gnome!"  No such luck, I can surf to the web page just fine in the HTTP proxy enabled browser.
> Did RC work previously with proxies?  As far as I know, nothing has
> changed recently that would cause this.
Yes.  My colleague downloaded 1.2 on Thursday and when he restarted the new version, he got the same problem I did. Kind of natural to assume that it's the new version that caused it, but I don't know.
> > If, on the other hand, you set the proxy to a socks 5 server, it
> > segfaults right off the bat.  It's been like this for me for at least
> > since the beginning of the week. Can anyone else confirm?
>
> SOCKS 5 proxies are broken.  Check out bug #18078.

That explains that. ;)