Re: [Evolution] Feature request: Attachment handling

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 06:58, Kenneth MacDonald wrote:
I've never come across an MUA that does this, but that doesn't mean it's
impossible!

With all the DnD work going on with attachments, I think it would be a
"giant leap forward for mankind" if the user could move the attachment
out of the message into the filesystem, rather than simply copying it.

I believe there is a bug in the tracking system for this marked as
"Future".

That would really help us keep our users' mailboxes manageably sized.

Presumably, the message would have to be deleted and a new one with only
the retained MIME parts written back to the server?

Yes, that is how it would have to be done (even locally since you can't
just remove a chunk out of the middle of a message in an mbox file).

Anyways, if you want to try implementing it, go for it. Also, my guess
is that you will have to have some GUI dialog for it too so that people
don't mistakenly "move" the attachment from the message to the file
system. This has the potential to really annoy a lot of users if they
don't expect this behavior.

Please send all UI thoughts/ideas to anna ximian com

good luck!

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast