[Evolution] Contacts long gone

I'm running Debian unstable with bonobo-conf, gal, gtkhtml and evolution
from cvs (HEAD, I believe, in addition to soup and glibwww2).  For the
past few weeks I've been unable to access my exisiting contacts, or
having deleted addressbook.db, add new ones.  I get the following
messages when attempting to add...

The Evolution component that handles folders of type "contacts" has
unexpectedly quit.  You will need to quit Evolution and restart in order
to access that data again.

...and in the terminal window:

evolution-shell-CRITICAL **: file e-folder-type-registry.c: line 452
(e_folder_type_registry_get_handler_for_type): assertion `type_name !=
NULL' failed.

evolution-shell-CRITICAL **: file evolution-shell-component-client.c:
line 430 (evolution_shell_component_client_get_id): assertion
`shell_component_client != NULL' failed.

...then upon exiting:

evolution-shell-WARNING **: Error changing interactive status of
component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_ShellComponent to FALSE --
IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

For the past week or so I've configured evolution using the --with-db3
switches pointing to my DB 3.1 directory, to no avail.  Is this a known
issue | library mismatch | permissions problem | stupid setup mistake?
I've been able to find no related list traffic.

Thanks,

Mike