Re: [Evolution] POP3 & avoiding spam downloads

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 17:55, ahimsa wrote:
Thanks both to HvR and Bob Haddleton for your rapid responses to my
previous email regarding Evolution and spam. As far as I know, the POP3
protocol does allow one to 'scan' the account/file without downloading
its contents, and - through the filters one sets into the 'scanning'
program

hmmm, must be some new POP protocol that hasn't been made a standard yet
then :-)

 - delete some files while downloading others once the 'scan' has
completed its job. The spam buster that I used with KMail was
'mailfilter' - a small program where one wrote one's own sets of rules
(as is often the case) - and once that had finished I could download the
mail that had not been deleted.

I have a feeling you wasted a ton of bandwidth doing this, as mailfilter
has to download the mail to be able to properly filter it and then if it
thinks it is spam marks the message(s) for deletion on the server.

After that, KMail connects to the POP server and re-downloads the
messages again (except for the deleted ones of course).

 My query concerned how I could set that
up using Evol 1.2.0 prior to the downloading ('fetchmail') option
commencing. HvR came pretty close to answering this, but if either he
(or someone else) could elaborate a bit more for this n00b, that would
be immensely helpful.

echo "spamassassin -e" > ~/bin/spam-filter.sh
chmod +x ~/bin/spam-filter.sh

Then, in the Evolution filter editor, add a new filter and make your UI
match my very skillful ascii-art.

Rule name: [Spam                          ]

If
[Pipe Message to Shell Command][/home/<user>/bin/spam-filter.sh][returns
greater than][1]

Then
[Move to Folder]["Spam" in "Local Folders"]

And then hit OK and as if by magic, you now have a spam filter.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.