[Evolution] POP3 & avoiding spam downloads

Thanks both to HvR and Bob Haddleton for your rapid responses to my
previous email regarding Evolution and spam. As far as I know, the POP3
protocol does allow one to 'scan' the account/file without downloading
its contents, and - through the filters one sets into the 'scanning'
program - delete some files while downloading others once the 'scan' has
completed its job. The spam buster that I used with KMail was
'mailfilter' - a small program where one wrote one's own sets of rules
(as is often the case) - and once that had finished I could download the
mail that had not been deleted. My query concerned how I could set that
up using Evol 1.2.0 prior to the downloading ('fetchmail') option
commencing. HvR came pretty close to answering this, but if either he
(or someone else) could elaborate a bit more for this n00b, that would
be immensely helpful.
Cheers
AmF
--