Re: [Evolution] libpng errors

Hi Mark,

Here's what I've got for imlib and gdk-pixbuf:

imlib-1.9.10-474
imlib-config-1.9.10-474
gdk-pixbuf-0.20.0-1.ximian.1

I seem to have a more recent version of gdk-pixbug than evo is currently compiled against.

rpm -V on libpng / imlib / gdk-pixbuf does not return any errors.

I am not compiling evo on this machine. This is an upgrade from 8.0, so older libraries might still be kicking around. How could I check for this?

Thanks.

Jean

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 13:43, Mark Gordon wrote:
On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 01:39, Jean wrote:
> Let's try one more time...
>
> Under Suse 8.1, I don't get any icons on my shortcut bar or folder bar
> with Evolution 1.2. When I start Evolution, I see all kinds of errors
> referring to an incompatibility between what 1.2 was compiled with &
> what I have. Here's what the startup errors look like:
>
> jean compaq:~> evolution
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.4
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.4
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.4
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
>
> evolution-shell-CRITICAL **: file e-splash.c: line 355 (e_splash_new):
> assertion `splash_image_pixbuf != NULL' failed.
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkObject'
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 724 (gtk_signal_connect):
> assertion `object != NULL' failed.
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1427 (gtk_widget_show):
> assertion `widget != NULL' failed.
>
> etc, etc, etc.
>

> I think I have the right versions of everything:
>
> jean compaq:~> rpm -q -a |grep evo
> evolution-devel-1.2.0-1.ximian.3
> evolution-1.2.0-1.ximian.3
> jean compaq:~> rpm -q -a|grep libpng
> libpng-1.2.4-31
> libpng-devel-1.2.4-31
>
> It seems that even tho' 1.2.0.1-ximian.3 sez it has fixed the libpng
> errors, it doesn't look like it's really fixed, right?
>
> If anyone can shed any light on this, It would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jean

I have tried this on SuSE 8.1, same evo & libpng versions you have, and
I have no such problems.  Several things to note:

1) Evo itself isn't compiled against libpng.  It is, however, compiled
against libraries which are compiled against libpng (imlib,
gdk-pixbuf).  We're currently compiling against the SuSE 8.1 imlib
(1.9.10-474) and gdk-pixbuf (0.18.0-79).  It's possible one of those
libs is generating the error.

2) It's possible your libpng installation is somehow broken. rpm -V
libpng might shed some light.

3) I don't suppose you've been compiling things from scratch on this
machine? If you have e.g. an imlib you built yourself that isn't in
package management that is getting linked in, that might be causing the
problems.  ldd /opt/gnome/bin/evolution might shed some light.

4) Was this a clean install of SuSE 8.1, or an upgrade from an earlier
SuSE version?  If the latter, perhaps some older libraries survived the
upgrade?
CANSYS West Limited
http://www.cansyswest.com

Phone: +1 204 925-6161